Sunday, September 8, 2013

My first Century


While training for the Florida Ironman, Austin thought it might be good to complete a "supported" century ride. Austin found the Ride For The Red. A Red Cross supported ride, they had 40, 60 and 100 miles. Next thing you new I was registered all by my lonesome. 

As I arrived at Barber Park there were about 50-60 other riders, all seemed to know each other in one way or another. As we took off we were instructed to follow the Orange arrows. The group took off an it was clear I was not going to keep up with the pack but that was fine because this was about my 100 miles. 

As we approached Highway 21 I did not see an orange arrow so this indicated I was to go straight. I had passed another rider, the only other person behind me. I waited for him at the intersection. I asked him what he thought? He was a bit cranky. He also did not see any arrow so "assumed" we were to go straight. This was fine with me because it was part of the 1/2 Ironman coarse which I was familiar with. I headed out to Eisenman and as I circled back around I did not see an arrow on Gowen either. Now it was beginning to get annoying. I headed out to Pleasant Valley as I vaguely remembered seeing that on the map on-line. 

Once I hit Pleasant Valley we saw the arrows and we back on coarse. Turns out the previous missed turn added about 5 miles. No biggie when your are doing 100.

Once we hit 10 Mile Creek we had our first aid station. They had snacks and bathrooms. I was set for fuel so I used the restroom then headed down the road. It was a beautiful day for a ride. Sunny and probably 70 degrees. We were now well out past Kuna still following the orange arrows. 

Once I was out to the 50 mile mark I had passed a car which appeared to be a support vehicle. He was a bit shocked I was on the 100 mile. He said there was lunch up ahead but there was not much left as they were unaware there were still people on the coarse. I told him there was myself as well as one other person behind me. I continued to ride till I saw this bridge located at Celebration Park. It was stunning! I got off my bike and headed over to take this picture.




Since I had an extra 5 mile and I already passed the 50 mile marker I decided to turn around and head back I was good on fuel a fluid and this was about the 100 miles anyway not the lunch (even though it was supposed to be great). On my way back I passed the other rider. He was still looking cranky.  I was on the look out for the orange arrows not really knowing were I was. I was frequently being passed by the support cars which were checking on us often.


 One thing that I was unaware of was that our orange arrows were supposed to be taped on the road, not spray painted. Apparently there had been another sort of race out here because I happened to pick up a orange spray painted arrow. I followed them without hesitation... opps! At one point in my ride I actually looked at the arrows and said "REALLY?" It was not too long after that I looked behind me at Bogus and realized I was WAY off coarse! Double OOPS! Good thing it was  a beautiful day and I had plenty of fuel! 

I road to the next intersection of Rim Road and Alimo Road. I called my hubby and told him I was way off coarse but I had about 30 miles left to go. Tex was going to drive down to Barber Park to tell them were I was. I was sure they new I was lost by now. And I was off!

I ran into another cyclist who helped me get back to the North side of Nampa. Turns out I was about 20 miles in the wrong direction. I called Tex again and told him I was going to ride to the house. He had notified the ride crew where I was and they asked if I wanted to be picked up. I told them no as I still had about 20 miles to go.

One thing I forgot to mention was how "breezy" it was out on the desert. I took this photo of a flag standing almost straight up. I laugh when the weather man says "breezy", isn't this windy?


 Well, turns out once I got home it was 101 miles. After a long day, Tex took my out for dinner and Tristan drew this "map" of where I had ridden. All in all it was a beautiful day and I got my 100 miles in! A day I will not soon forget : )



No comments: