Sunday, June 28, 2015

Race Day Not what I planned but still a great day!

OK, here is the race recap...
Started out at 5 am walked to T2 to catch the bus so the family didn't have to wake up early. Seemed to be just a normal morning. This was the first time I had to have my bike transported to the lake. That was a nice convenience. When I arrived at the lake I set up T1, fueled a bit more climbed into my wetsuit as our start time was quickly approaching. The swim was going to be a 2 loop coarse today which did not have me too worried as IM was a 2 loop coarse. I went out for a warm up swim and was actually feeling pretty good.
Wave 5 went off without a hitch but I quickly found out that is was not going to be a good swim day. For those that know my swim I have a bit of a hyperventilation problem that I am usually pretty good at controlling. Apparently not at 4900 feet. As I rounded the second buoy I was looking for the jetty and my biggest concern was how I was going to climb into it. Bad news was the jetty was following another swimmer so I was in it for the long haul. The good news was the announcer had mentioned in pre race that if you were having a bad water day you could exit after the first loop and still complete the course. After many attempts to try the free stroke, I ended up side stoking all the way into the shore. When I exited the water my heart rate was at 158, my resting is generally 52-54. I was not sure if I could get it down to head out on the bike
I spent a little time in T1, gathered myself and headed out for the 28 mile bike.
The bike coarse was simply stunning! 28 miles of rolling hills with one pretty good 2 mile climb, a slight amount of rain that filled the air with refreshing goodness and cooled me down : ) After the climb it was time for the decent. I may be slow going up but I can move coming down. I hit 40 MPH on the bike today and I think my highest before that was about 37 MPH. My biggest fears at that speed is blowing a tire... But all was good. It was great to see Sheree, Tex, Paige, and Tristan at T2.
As I headed out for the run, it really began to heat up. The coarse was nestled along the paths in Sunriver which opted for a bit of shade but it was still warm. I hydrated well and carried ice to keep me cool.
All in all what could have started out as a DNF and a really bad day ended up being a 4 1/2 hour workout which proved to my kid (and myself) that Mommy did not give up. The race really kicked my rear but I learned a lot and that is what is important!
Now time for vacation!



















I loved that Tristan got to cross the finish line with me this time. It literally brought tears to my eyes. This was a tough one.




34. Lynnette Horton         
49  43   F   
4:39:45     34    
0:27:10   58   4:54   2:15:31   381    5:05   367     1:47:04  385   
Boise, ID

No comments: