Saturday, August 11, 2012

Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon - Olympic


     After the let down of the Boise Ironman this year, I had worked myself back into shape to compete in what would turn out to be my biggest race of the year. Last year I ran this Tri and I loved it so this year I decided to complete the Olympic Course this year.

     Saturday morning began very early. As I drove out to Emmett the sun began to peak over the foothill and it reminded me of the sun peaking over Mauna Kea. Not quit Hawaii but it will have to do : ) Another positive start to my morning was that with all of the fires in the area and the low are quality today turned out to be not so bad. This made me very happy as I was about to embark on 3 + hours of cardio.


 

Headed to Emmett all on my own...

T1

T2


I am not alone.... I have Hairy Cow!

 



The 10 K loop was a 2 loop course. This was the turn around of my first loop.


Coming in for the home stretch.



     After I finished the race, Sheree, Paige and I spent some time at the awards ceremony and the farmers market. We then headed to pick up my swim bag which was brought into town from the reservoir. While at the stop light waiting to cross the street there were a couple of other athlete's. I asked them if they new what the police and ambulance responded too during our race? I had seen 2 police cars and an ambulance just as I left T1? I literally was chanting "sending light and love...sending light and love". To my surprise, they told us that a male triathlete had a heart attack in the swim and passed. I was absolutely shocked. I silently began to cry under my glasses.

Later in the day we had seen more of the details. Here is what was posted by KTVB.com. Such a sad day. Such a loss. Considering I got out of the water somewhere about 941. I can't believe how close we must have been. I always look at the swimmers as I pass them. I have stopped to help 2 in separate races in the past, this is just who I am. I wished I would have seen him. I wish we could have helped him.


EMMETT, Idaho -- The race director for Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon says a participant died during the race Saturday morning.
   
It happened around 9:45 a.m.
   
Ken Runyan said the male victim, later identified as Matthew Sell, suffered a cardiac event while doing the swimming portion of the race in Black Canyon Reservoir, just moments from the finish line. 
   
Sell remained unconscious all the way to hospital. 
   
Runyan said there were many emergency responders right there to help.
 
Sell was a neonatal intensive care physician with Saint Alphonsus. 

Saturday afternoon, Sally Jeffcoat, the president and CEO of the Saint Alphonsus Health System, released the following statement:
“Saint Alphonsus lost a beloved member of our family today. Dr. Matthew Sell, a neonatal intensive care physician died this morning while participating in a triathlon in Emmett, Idaho. Dr. Sell saved the lives of countless babies during his many years working in the Saint Alphonsus Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. His unwavering dedication to his patients and his kind and gentle demeanor will be sorely missed. The entire Saint Alphonsus Health System staff sends our deep condolences and prayers to the Sell family.”


     After heading back to Boise I remembered that there was a celebration for Kristin Armstrong today as well. Tex was in a softball tournament at Ann Morison Park so I was headed down there anyway. I was just in time to unload my bike, strap my gear back on and go for a spin with our Olympic Gold Medalist. Why not? Sorry about the first few photo's they were on a incorrect setting as I was taking the photo's while I was riding.


Kristin with Lucas(her son) in tow.
Depot to the Capitol

 


Fans were lining the streets!


As we all rode into the Capitol, they streets were lined with American Flags and they were playing the Olympic Anthem over the PA system... it was incredible!



Governor Otter


U of I President
Duane Nellis

 

Mayor Bietor






2 time Olympic Gold Medalist
Kristin Armstrong
What a role model!








Love this shot of the Capitol looking like T1!
Hmmmm : )
 



 After a long day for everyone...
Olympic Triathlon for me...
and 4 games for Texas...
Time for a late night swim!




Good night all!
Thanks for your support!
To the Sell family, my thoughts and prayers are with you during this tragic time.

No comments: