Friday, August 15, 2014

Grand Teton Relay 2014


A few months ago one of my long time friends asked me if I wanted to run in the Grand Teton Relay. I didn't even really know what it was but it was from my home town and I didn't blink an eye. The funny part was that I volunteered my sister and from that time on we were in. Well, the time has come and I don't think we had any idea what we were getting ourselves into.

Check in and race start was at North Fremont High in Ashton.




Patti stepping up as always to volunteer,


I got to see Rich before she headed in to coach volleyball!


Patti got some loving from Sasquatch.


Car 2 reporting for duty. Short Carolyn of coarse, she will be joining us later.



Our 1st car left at 530 am, first runner from car 2 Carrie Draper. You got this girl!




Carrie finishing her 8 miles, Randi headed out for her monster climb.







Randi is one Bad A$$ girl. 1200 foot climb she killed it! Handing it off to "Ab Man"
Yes Dustin has Ab's!




Randi Rollin it out.


This chick was hanging with Dustin and we said he was cheating... he said...



..."No this is cheating"... and jumped on the running board,
we asked him if he could do that again : )



Yes a take off after ab man, headed out for 8 miles.






Look who was hanging in the woods at the end of my 8 miles.





Handing it off to Patti at 6100 feet. The lungs are burning now.



Riding with the crew.


Carolyn headed out for our final round for the first leg.


Wrapping it up at dusk, just about 930 pm. We had to wear vests from 7 pm to 7 am or anytime we were on the Teton Pass.




The original plan was to head to Kelly's house but there was no way we would make it so we took advantage of the Teton High School. 5$ for a shower and a place to sleep. Bad news... we camped right by the cafeteria which was really loud and then car 1 finished like 2 hours prior to predicted time and we had to pack it up and head back out about 12:30 am...
Patti's exact words, "I am to ______ old for this"




Leg 2 first runner, Carrie is off. It is going to be a long, cold night.


Sasquatch sighting.












Patti and I swapped legs because she had a pretty heavy uphill. I gave her my flat and boy was I cranky at first but once I got started and the sun began to rise I was so pumped I could not stand it! 
Here is what I settled into as the sun lighted our way.




After a well deserve 2 hours of sleep at the camp site we were off for leg 3. Loved the picture of Carrie with her family in the back ground.



Carrie struggled on this leg. She had to fight the battle within her head. This girl has come so far over the past year. She too has lost over 100 pounds and this relay was a huge milestone for her. I could not be more proud! Way to go girl, you rocked it!


Time to hit the pass!



Absolutely great group of new friends! Another great thing about this relay!


You did it Carrie, you won the battle!




I was super excited when Tex and Tristan showed up as we headed up the pass!




Randi's final stretch after another vicious climb.  Dustin headed out to top the monster. 
Teton Pass here we come!



Waiting for ab man. We had contemplated skipping this leg. 5.6 miles straight down the pass. The team was a little worried about how taxing it might be on my body. I was too but we all know how I am about completing things. I had to do it, and do it I did. 3 9 minute miles, 2 10 minute miles and boy did I slow down at the bottom for a 14 minute mile. So glad I did it though!





Patti is in and boy is she glad! 
Off goes Carolyn for the last of the 3rd leg.





Time for some TLC!


Tex got us a beautiful room for the night in Jackson Hole.
We stayed at The Rustic Inn





We made it to the other side!


Another fabulous experience with my soul sister and some great new friends!
I wonder what is in store for us next?


No comments: