Tuesday, September 12, 2017

In Loving Memory of my Mom Barbara A. Welter 4/5/36 - 9/12/17

On August 9, 2017 I was scheduled for my Achilles reconstruction. My right foot had been giving me grief since Ironman in 2013. Mom had been declining and she had fallen a couple of times and thank the lord she had not hurt herself. I had asked the opinion of many if I should put off my surgery. Everyone said "there is never a good time". I proceeded with the surgery and the following day Mom fell again and broke her collar bone. I literally left the house on one weight bearing leg and headed to the hospital. I should have listened to that little voice but here we were. 

I met mom in the hospital and there was not much they could do with a broken collar bone. They sent her to rehab, which thank God was the reason she picked Garden Plaza. The rehab was literally on the other side of the assisted living. 

Mom fought a hard battle for a month. As she continued to decline I was so grateful for so many things. I was grateful I had no regrets. Mom was my beast friend. I told her everything. I was grateful for my brother and my sisters. For traveling to see her one last time, to say good bye. I was grateful to Sue, my step Mom for coming home a day early from Tamarack so that we could spend one last day together as a family. I was thankful for that one day that Mom rebounded and we all got to talk together like old times. I was thankful for tender mercies and rekindled friendships who ended up being Mom's hospice nurse. I was thankful for all of the support of our friends and family.
And most of all, most of all I was grateful that Mom was no longer in pain.

You know, I waited 7 months to write this blog, some of the memories have faded. you know the hard stuff. I was not sure if I wanted to add these pictures but I decided I want them for me, for my memories. 

We are approaching Moms birthday in 3 days and I am sure I will be emotional but what I can say is that Mom was a wonderful woman, she lived a wonderful life and when she died and was taken to heaven she was surrounded by her family and their was so much peace. We will never forget her.
I love you and miss you Mom!





No comments: