Sunday, June 7, 2009

Len's Birthday

Aloha all from Kona. Thank you Lynnette for the wonderful note about your Dad. Yes, this was truly a day to celebrate.
It doesn't seem like it has been almost a year since Len's accident but here we are still together and Len is getting better every day. As Len says"I'm going up and up".
We are all grateful for Len's recovery no one more than me and I am grateful for each of our family and friends support helping us through this year. Lynnette and Tex were here as you all know and Lynnette got one of the puzzles out and started it with Len. He now is trying to finish it because Patti gave him another one for his BD.
Even our daughter Lesa took a week from her busy schedule to fly to Kona and bring us new computers, hook them up and get Len back on the Internet. Len now checks his email but is not responding to any of them. He lets me know everyday how many emails he has read and how many he has left. He is pretty much caught up now.
What did we do on Len's Birthday? Patti invited us to a picnic at Place of Refuge and we met her and Rich, Pat, and Carmen (Patti's guests) there. It was a beautiful afternoon and Len loved just watching the ocean. Thanks Patti.
Len is now working out at the Club twice a week. He is back to his routine of jogging(well, walking) to the gym, then the post office and home. He still has speech therapy twice a week and I continue to provide therapy at home 3 more days a week. He is now retaining all the small details like where the kids are going and what they will be doing. His memory is great and I know all the speech therapy has helped with this. He still stumbles over words but recognizes that he has not pronounced it properly and asks for clarification. This is a big step. He has retained his sense of humor and continually teases me which makes me laugh out loud and yes, he still can be sharp sometimes which just makes me want to scream. Oh well, what marriage doesn't have these days. He says " I am more than half way there and I think in another year I will be pretty much up to speed" I say amen to that!!!!

We will be leaving here on July 4 for a few months and will be back in Kona on August 25. We will be visiting family and friends in California, Minnesota, Idaho, and Oregon. Have a great summer.
May this found you well and happy.
Aloha,
Sue

No comments: