Thursday, August 25, 2011

Freedom 50/50

While Patti was here before the Y not Tri, we stopped in to Idaho Mountain Touring downtown to get her a bike. While she was getting sized a rather fit cyclist rode in and he was wearing a outfit the read Freedom 50/50 so being the inquisitive person that I am I Googled the website while I was waiting for Patti. As I read his mission statement I began to cry. So many of us were affected on that day in September 10 years ago. I called Patti over to me to tell her about him and of course she went over and told him... Thanks Sis. Max offered us to ride with him but we were a bit intimidated. Little did we know that is was part of his mission. We did get our photo with him and we have been watching his progress as he journeys across the US bound for what used to be the World Trade Center. Please visit his website at http://freedom5050.com, take a moment to remeber where you were that day 10 years ago and the lives that were lost then and since then.

WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
THANKS MAX!



Max's Mission from his web site.

As a tribute to the victims and the 10 year anniversary of the 9/11 attack on America, I, Max McManus, am going to “connect” the United States by riding my bike through all 50 states in 50 consecutive days. I’m starting July 24, 2011 and fi nishing at ground zero in New York City on 9-11-2011. Riding 8-10 hours a day, 50 straight days is extremely difficult but it will be my patriotic contribution to the freedom and sovereignty of our country to connect and hopefully “unite,” in some way, all the States of America. Along the way I hope each U.S. State, in its own way, will make a charitable contribution towards the 10th anniversary of TheHelpAmerica 9-11 Foundation. Growing up in many countries as a son of an Air Force pilot LT. Colonel, one thing that’s apparent is the patriotism, pride and appreciation one ends up with knowing you are a citizen of the United States of America. I think the relevance of this became evident on that fateful day of September 11, 2001. Defending and protecting the freedom of our country did not start on that horrifi c day, but it is the one day that’s been the most disturbing to me. Recognizing this has lead to my motivation to attempt such a challenging and unique test.

Ultimately my success will be defined by how well I can make a diff erence by uniting as many people as possible in my quest. There were thousands of innocent lives lost and countless families aff ected by this attack. Refl ecting on those lost, not taking our freedom for granted and appreciating how fortunate we are to live in this country is what I hope we never forget.

No comments: