Friday, April 8, 2011

Lavaman April 3, 2011

One week ago today I completed the race of my life. As many of you know I have been training for a year to run this Olympic Triathlon and today was the day. I was nervous until I arrived in Kona two weeks ago and got the first week of training under my belt on the island. My nerves slipped away with the tears that I cried after we ran the brick last week and I never looked back.

When our alarm clock rang, Patti and I got up and began getting ready. Breakfast was first at hand. Oatmeal was on the menu. No spoons so we used our key card.




Patti had all sorts of little surprises for me throughout the trip but once we got to the Waikoloa she really kicked it in with the surprises. Patti wrote me a beautiful card, of course it made me cry.





Patti wanted a french braid which I had not done in years, but it turned out really good.

Hairy Cow made his appearance in the transition area.





Soul Sisters...

Our daddy was there, I am amazed daily at how far he has come in three years!


I have to thank Sue, Sheree and Tex for all the photo's.
This is one of Sue's and I absolutely love it!


I ended up being able to start with Patti in the 40 year old group because even though I am not forty yet, I do turn forty this year and they use your year of birth rather than your age.


I held back a few more tears as I approached the starting line because now it was time to get it done. Working my way through the crowd of three hundred in our wave was a chore but I managed to work my way to the outside so I would have an unobstructed path. As I rounded the farthest buoy I was not even winded. I thought that I would have to stop and rest but the swim was just so amazing. As I began to close in on the beach I noticed a Honu swimming in the rocks. It was so magical to see. It was about this time that I began to hear the crowd. I was really getting excited... time to ride.


Here I am coming out of the water, I am between the two people in the florescent shirts.

I was able to hear people cheering once I hit the last buoy. The best part of exiting the water was seeing Tristan, Sheree and Paige when I ran up the beach. Tristan was yelling "go mommy go". It was amazing!


Just before we got to the transition area they had pools set up to was our feet. They also had a station with water, oranges, and Heed.




Patti was behind me on the swim but caught up with me on the bike.

Sue got some great shot in the transition area.


My husband has been so amazing these days, but on this trip he really stepped up. He helped with mom and Tristan and really made my race day easy! I am so special to have him in my life.
I need to also need to thank, Patti, and Sheree for their help! Thanks for making my race such a great experience and the support along the way! You all mean the world to me!



As I entered the transition area I saw Sue, she told me I was three minutes behind Patti. Back from the road my transition time was a bit slower. I wanted to make sure I was good and hydrated. I finished my water bottle and had a bit of fuel to head out for the 6.2 mile run.

Boy did Sheree and Sue get some great shots on the run. I loved seeing my dad and Sue as I headed out... still going strong. It was not until I started the run and a really started looking at my watch and realized that I was going to be able to reach my goal of finishing the race under four hours. I new that I would have to maintain the pace I kept in my first mile.


Patti hitting the beach approaching the finish line.

Ignore the clock because it is way wrong!

876 PATRICIA WELTER-HENDERSON 48 F Holualoa, HI 
 
Swim Rank 53 Swim Time 41:50 
Pace 8:22 
 
Transition 1 2:49 
 
Bike Rank 42 Bike time 1:36:07 
Rate 15.5 
 
Transition 2 2:28 
 
Run Rank 47 1:21:19 
Mile Split time 13:07 
 
Overall Time 3:44:31  



As we circled around the tsunami damage I was was about 8 minutes away from the four minute mark. It was not until I reached the beach that I realized I was going to achieve that goal. I would bet there was 8 - 10 triathletes between me and the finish line on the beach. I can't explain the feeling that came over me, it was so amazing! I just took off. Patti explained it like a "car dodging in and out of traffic". When I crossed the finish line I was so exhilarated, I still get that feeling every time I tell the story!










587 LYNNETTE HORTON 40 F Boise, ID   
 
Swim Rank 69 38:53  
Pace 7:47    
 
Transition 1 5:02   
 
Bike Rank 75 1:41:40 
Pace 14.6       
 
Transition 2 2:09   
 
Run Rank 79 Run Time 1:25:16 
Mile Split Time 13:46

Overall time 3:52:59





Patti and I were so fortunate to share this experience with so many of our family members and friends, we want to thank you again for all of your support!

Paige joined us for a little dip in the ocean after the race!
Oh, did that feel good.

After a great party put on by The Kona Brewing Company, (obviously real good because we have no photo's), we loaded everything up and headed back to the room then we headed out to take the kids to the pool. Patti caught a bit of a nap and we all shared in a fruity beverage.




WHAT AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE!
I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!

2 comments:

Nickel said...

Awesome job! And you are looking so good
Donell

Jamie Link said...

Nice job Lynnette! You are an inspiration! I got chills reading your post...can't wait to go to lunch and hear you talk about it. You go girl!!