Saturday, October 4, 2014

Foothills Frenzy 50K


I met Michelle a few years ago at my gym.
She trains behind me on Tuesdays. Both her and her husband Ryan have amazing stories respectively but Michelle's really stood out to me because she reminds me a lot of myself. I can remember training for Ironman and Michelle was talking about all of these 50K, and 100 milers last year. I am so impressed with her. 

Michelle and I have had coffee together but never in my wildest dreams did I think I would do a 50 K with her. As time went on we began talking about doing one together. The Foothills Frenzy it would be. As the Month before the race set in Michelle and I began to train together. She took me out on almost the entire coarse. 

Well The day has finally come. 330 am wake up call. Breakfast the head downtown by 430. Race to begin at 5am. These guys are crazy!



I am really starting to love running in the dark with headlamps! It is an entirely different experience!

The views from the foothills were amazing!


This is one of my favorite pictures. See all of thoe lights below the city scape, those a runners. It was amazing to see the headlamps flowing down the trails.


Here comes the sun... do do do do.




The tree line on race day!



The aid station on ridge road. This was a dog leg section of the coarse. Totally funny at these aid stations there is liquor! The other funny thing was to ensure you went to the end of the dog leg you have to pick up a puzzle piece and bring it back to the aid station. Hilarious!





Top of Adalpe Summit _ Robbie Greek 


The day started out fabulous. Michelle and I were on it! As the day wore on Michelle realized that she was not going to hit the 2 pm, 22 mile cut off, it was not in the cards for her today. Michelle pulled me aside and told me she wanted me to finish the race. As I started doing the math in my head I realized that if I was going to hit the cut off I was going to have to book it. I gave Michelle a hug and with tears in my eyes I buckled down with my tunes and put in 3 10 minute miles. I made it to mile 22 by 145. I fueled up at the aid station and headed out. My plan to walk the up hills and run the down hills. As my pace began to slow down I was greeted at the last aid station with 2 ice cold Popsicle. I could not have been more happy at this point. As I left this aid station I was greeted by Michelle's husband. Great site at Mile 28. He ran the rest of the way in with me. I was greeted at the finish line after 12 hours and 44 minutes and 3000 feet of elevation gain by Tex, Tristan, Michelle, Angee Madison Jensen, KG, River and Flower. and many of the other finishers. This was a super great race, super great race staff and support crew, with super great friends. I am truly blessed to have embarked on such a venture. THANK YOU RYAN! AND THANK YOU MICHELLE FOR A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE! Michelle I won't forget the Ridge Road! YOU ARE AMAZING!


And here is the reason I am so sore today!

3000 feet of elevation gain! OUCH!




1 comment:

Sheree said...

Great Job Girl!!! Love Ryan's get up!