Thursday, August 13, 2015

My day @ Iceberg Lake Glacier National Park


I don't even know where to start. These pictures do not do this day any justice but what I can tell you is that there are not many things that bring me to tears... I mean literally.
We have had such a wonderful week and we had many planned hikes but Iceberg Lake was one that I new would be too big for both Tex and Tristan. I was not sure that I would be able to get it in but after a long week we all seemed to head out separate ways. I told Tex this was something that I really wanted to do and he graciously took Tristan for the day and I was off on my own. Sheree and Johnny lent me their bear spray and I headed off behind a group of foreigners. Yes I was scared to be making this trek on my own but the trail is well traveled.

The trail was steep and full of beautiful vistas. I absolutely loved the natural stairs, waterfalls, and wildflowers but nothing could top cresting the peak to see an amazing aquamarine lake sheltered by ice walls. This literally brought me to tears. Once I got myself together and finished the last 1/4 of a mile I joined about 50-75 other hikers along the shore. I was eager to test the waters but no one else was indulging. I began to chat with some hikers next to me asking "anybody getting in?" " I really don't want be the first one to get in." To no avail I worked up the courage to take the first dip. The water was amazingly cold. Some other hikers had said it was froze over the day before, they guessed it was about 35-35 degree's. It was actually pretty refreshing! Once I got out it was like a chain reaction! The race was on to take the polar plunge. After about an hour of taking in the fabulous view I was off. I did not take many photos on the way down but I did stop to rest and soak my feet at the top of the water fall. 

Once I was down I was surprised not to find Tex and Tristan at the trail head. I headed to the market to get a Gatorade and was going to walk back to Many but there came my husband. I am so lucky to have such a great husband! We have come so far!

All I can say was this day was truly a blessing and I will cherish it for many years to come!































 





































No comments: