Thursday, September 2, 2010

George Washington's Birthplace

Well, Wednesday was a travel day and we were beat by the time we got to Nita & Dave's. Nita had made us a pot roast dinner so we went to there house and ate dinner before heading to the hotel.

David invited us to ride with him to Quantico where he has his Troller boat tied down. With Hurricane Earl coming in the base advised all boat owners to "double line" their boats before the storm arrives.







Once we got back from the base we headed out to the Birthplace of George Washington in Colonial Beach, Virginia. Nita packed a picnic lunch that we ate before touring the grounds. It was absolutely amazing to think we were walking the grounds that our former first President walked all those many years ago.











George Washington was born on his father's Pope Creek tobacco farm on February 22, 1732. When George was 3 1/2, his father took his family to live at Mount Vernon. In 1779 the home where Washington was born burned. A Memorial House was built near the spot in 1930. Today the National Park Service operates a colonial farm where costumed interpreters recreate the sights, sounds and smells of 18th century plantation life. Daily activities include a 14-minute film at the visitor center/museum, tours of the memorial house, the colonial kitchen, spinning shop and the farm buildings. Special programs are available for adult and school groups. Special weekend activities vary each year, please check the calendar of events . Located 40 miles east of Fredericksburg off Virginia Route 3 near Oak Grove, Va.





















After getting back from Colonial Beach we headed out to Juani's for spaghetti and meatballs. Here are a couple of pictures of her very old colonial house. I have told many of you of the ghost that lives in her house. The house looked so spooky as we pulled up tonight!




So earlier in the day I had made a joke about Juani making a chocolate cream pie because last night she made an amazing banana cream pie. The pie was so good last night and it was sugar free. To my surprise, while we were having supper she tells me that she actually made a chocolate cream pie for desert. I could not believe it! And this one was just as good as the one we ate last night! Thanks Juani!





So after supper we all headed out to the front porch to chat after supper. We had been sitting there for a while when all of the sudden the front porch lite in the yard went on and off 2 times. My mouth was on the floor and I was just staring at Juani. I didn't have any idea what to say? I asked if she did that? Juani got up and looked inside and saw nothing. I had just asked at dinner if the ghost had been around lately? Juani said that the switch for this light was clean in the kitchen. I can not express how FREAKED OUT, Mom and I both were. We continued to chat and I could not get my mind on anything else. I think the hair was standing on my entire body for ever!



The infamous light pole...

This was a great story until I went inside and asked Tex if he had been up flipping any switches... Why did he have to say yes??????? I though, for sure, I had just had my first paranormal experience...

All in all another fabulous day!

No comments: