Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Next Chapter...

Well, I have slacked from the daily updates of days past. My only excuse is they are not really needed as each day is better than the last! For those of you not reading the blog, today is a big day. Dad is being released from the hospital today & will be going to the apartment in Mt View. We thought we had
until the 20th of Aug before he would be coming home, so we started an upgrade
of the bathroom (bigger shower). Then they moved his release date up 7 days.
Thank you to our friend Mario & his crew working at top speed to try & finish before
dad comes home. I can have pretty good conversations with dad on a regular basis,
albeit at a "low level" (daily activities, sleeping, eating, etc). I spoke with the speech
therapist after sitting in on one of his sessions. She said dad does very well with the
"automatic responses", "hello there, how are you, see you tomorrow, etc", but
continues to work on higher level communication, but it gets better every day.
Dad will continue with in home therapy for the next two weeks until they get him in
the outpatient rotation back at SCVMC. Dad had a visitor on Sunday (after I left) &
when I asked him (on Tuesday) if he remembered him being there, he could not
remember. Then I asked him if he could remember when I was there last. He said,
"well, I don't think it was yesterday - Monday... it must have been at least Sunday".
This was correct. I am guessing, but I think this has a lot to do with how often he
sees different people (I have seen him every day, but two, since he has been home).
So this afternoon a new chapter in the story begins......
Steve

1 comment:

debsorrill said...

thank you Steve, for you post. I am still checking. I understand with your Dad coming home that you will probably need to work more on family and less on the blog.

Just want you to know I appreciate it. I get a good sense of where you all are. I am so happy he is coming home. Regards, Deb Sorrill (Sue's friend)