Monday, December 8, 2008

My friend Fred...





Well, many of you know I am a fresh water fish enthusiast. I have dabbled in fresh water for many years and have come to love my African Cichlid tanks. About 4 years ago when we bought our home I put up a 55 gallon tank with two Oscars in it. As the Oscars grew one ate the other (for those of you who don't know Oscars are very aggressive fish). There were times I would try to get him some "friends" but he just ate them. As the Oscar grew he began to compare to the size of my dog, Buddie, Buddie is a Yorkie so he is not very big. Since the Oscar was comparing to the size of my dog I though it was about time that I name him. I decided to call him Fed.

Fred has been through so much in his short life. About two years ago my tank sprang a leak. We were having a party and I put him in a bucket and went and got a 10 gallon tank while I sealed the big tank. I was able to drain the tank, seal it and put Fred back in the tank. That all went off without a hitch. Then, last year it was time for our remodel. I drained my other tank but I decided to put Fred in the bedroom and move him back out when the remodel was finished. Fred was part of the family now it was not like I could just get rid of him. The remodel went great and Fred survived but it was right in the middle when I stopped by the house and I found Fred's tank to be half empty. I immediately went and got another tank and Fred was good to go.

All was fine and dandy until about 2 months ago when Fred's pump went out. I went to replace the pump but I did not retain the water for use. Instead I put fresh water in and completely ruined the bacteria bed. All of the sudden Fred was obviously uncomfortable, and was even floating on his side at the top at one point. I began to do some research on line as well as at our local fish stores. Boy, I just did not think Fred was going to make it. Even Sheree was worried because she was watching him while we were in Texas. Well this week Fred is back to normal! After many water changes and feeding suggestions he back to his old self. I could not be happier...Here's to you Fred!

No comments: