Saturday, July 26, 2008

7/25/08

ok, let me go get my beer first!

yes, I did go get it!

Amazing things happen in a short period of time!

Dad was put on a therapy schedule today & I have no idea how that went.... but I can only imagine!!!!

They removed the catheter and tracheotomy today. So he was a chatty fool! Obviously it was inhibiting his ability to make sounds when trying to speak. He says a lot more now, not always making sense and not always what we may want to hear, but if you could not hear him & were only watching from afar, you would think wow, he has some very important matters to discuss! In the first twenty minutes I saw dad today, I watched him grab a dinner roll, cut it in half, butter it & eat it all by himself. Then he grabbed a full glass of juice with his right hand (I said, oh boy, he's gonna dump that!). He moved it from his shaky right hand, to his less shaky left hand, drank 1/3 of it & didn't spill a drop!

An awesome 20 minutes!!!!
Then the next 1.5 hrs he was in bed & in between sleeping & looking around. He gets these looks like "what the heck have I gotten myself into" & then other looks are just into space , but that is ok, because "WE" only focus on the good things & let the rest roll off like water on a ducks back (am I convincing???) Not always easy, but that is "OUR" job, to focus on the good & ignore the bad!

I am glad I went to get my beer, because I didn't really feel like typing, but the beer helped! Time for another!

If you are wondering what you can do from afar....... send some pictures, put them in an album so he can flip thru them. Put words to them, who, what , where. I do not know all of our extended family, so this will help me as well!

Good night all!

Steve

1 comment:

debsorrill said...

Thank you so much Steve, for continuing to blog. Both of my daughters and I are checking on a daily basis. I know if must be an effort with everything else you have to manage.

We really do appreciate it. Soon our family will be getting together, I will take some pics and send them along.

So glad Len and Susie have made it back home. Regards, Deb Sorrill (Sue's girlfriend)).