Thursday, July 10, 2008

Nice to Genoa

Well, today started early for Patti and I. I still had the car that Len and I rented and it has been sitting in a parking garage for almost two weeks. It had to be returned to Nice(Peugot buy back plan) and I was afraid to leave Genoa for any length of time before today.
So Patti and I left early this morning and drove to Nice with the car. We actually had very few problems getting the car back to Nice and made it in a little over 2 hrs. It was Patti's first trip to France so we hung out near the train station after buying our return ticket and had a nice lunch. We boarded the train about 1:10 in the afternoon and headed back to Genoa. It was a beautiful trip back We had the ocean on our right and I couldn't help thinking how Len would have enjoyed the train ride. We will have to do that together sometime. We made it back just in time for visiting hours at the hospital so that was great.
When we got to the ward, Len was sleeping and they ask us to wake him up because they wanted to see how he was reacting to commands. Well, the man could not keep his eyes open so we had to yell at him. He stayed awake for about a half hour and then fell asleep again. While he was awake the staff wanted us to ask him to stick his tongue out. He was trying and I think he thought it was sticking out. I also feel he thought that sticking his tongue out was a ridiculous request because when I ask him to give me a kiss he had NO PROBLEM WITH THAT ONE!!!!! He puckered his lips and I was able to kiss him on the lips. I took advantage of the situation and got 2 more kisses for my trouble. WOW! That was something. He then fell asleep but woke up a little later and let us talk to him some more. He has a tracheotomy so was coughing a bit. He would look around for the staff to help him so he knows that they will do that for him(clean out the tube). Another good sign.
Patti gave me some time alone with Len at the end of our visit and after she left he lifted his hand to my face and ran it along my cheek. Felt like old times. He still is not talking and is not moving his right side.
They say he will get a little better every day now and today was proof of that. I am just thankful to see his blue eyes looking back at me.
Thank you all for your emails of encouragement . I am not always able to answer but I read them all. I give Len all your messages and your positive thoughts have kept him going. Keep them coming.
Love and Aloha,
Sue

3 comments:

lisa said...

HI Patti&Sue; that sounds great i am glad that he is improving. keep up the good work dad. love always lisa

Donnaste said...

Yea!!! Things are going to get better and better; I just know it!!

LOVELOVELOVE, Donna

WH said...

Hi Mom and Patti,
Leave it to Len to show what he's really thinking...now let's "G Rate" this Blog already. Hee Hee.

Miss and Love you,
Wendy