Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Grazie and Arrivederci Genoa


Well, I woke up this morning with the news that we are going home tomorrow. Yes!!! For once, you all had the information before me. I visited Len this afternoon. Not much new. I told him we were going home tomorrow and he just smiles I know he is looking forward to getting back to the US where he can understand the chatter from the next bed and what the nurses are saying. He was a little quiet but ready to go. He gave me a few OKs so know he is ready. He listened to music with one leg crossed over the other and taping with his foot. I'm ready too but will miss this city and my little neighborhood.
I arrived in Genoa late at night on June 24 worried about Len and exhausted. The city flew by me in a blur as we searched for the hotel and then on to the hospital. Little did I know that I would still be here today and I would have found so many friends.
The wonderful owner of the Hotel Bel Soggiorno, Sergio, who showed real concern about Len and ask every day how he was doing. One of his assistants, Josephine, who told me to get out and enjoy Genoa and keep a positive attitude. Markus, who not only rented us this apartment but continues to offer his assistance where ever he can. Anna Maria Saiano from the American Consulate and all the people in the neighborhood that I have already mentioned and of course the "ladies".
Dr. Silvia Di Maio, who went far and beyond what her job required to make sure we understood what was going on and who along with the ICU staff, took such wonderful care of Len. The staff in the neurosurgery ward continued where ICU left off doing their job and helping as best they could with the language barrier.
Then there were all the patient's families who don't speak English but say hello and recognize me while I am at the hospital. How lucky I have been to experience all of this and even luckier to be coming home with Len.
Thank you Genoa for your warmth and hospitality. I will never forget.

PS. I will not be blogging for a few days. Will be in flight and settling in. Will take pictures along the way and share with all of you. If you would like to track our flight you can do so by going to www.flightaware.com/live/flight/N70LJ

No comments: