Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Sun Always Shines Where Len Is

Well, another day of wonderful surprises.
I will remind you that we were told yesterday that we should come around 3pm to visit Len one person at a time until 5 pm to keep Len company and talk to him. I took the first shift at 3pm. I said my usual hellos and got my wonderful kiss. Len seem a little agitated and I could tell he was realizing where he was and what had happened to him. I also know him well enough to understand he was more worried about me than his own condition and he was saying to himself"How stupid could I be. I can't believe I did this" I reassured him and then gave him some of the gelato that the staff had said we could bring him. (The lady at the gelato store had put it in a cold pac for me so it made it to the hospital without any problems). He really enjoyed the treat. I had brought a book to read to him but it was too noisy and I gave up on it. Next, I hooked him up to his Nano with classical music and that was very comforting for him.
Patti began her shift at 4 pm and I went for a walk to wait for 5 pm when we could both be in together. When I was allowed back in I was putting my things under the table at the foot of the bed when Patti said"Look" I glanced up and Len was moving his right arm. He had actually reached up toward his face across his body with his arm. I was stunned and just stared in disbelief. I said "Len, your moving your right arm" and he gave me this big smile like "See, told you" Patti and I broke out laughing and Len just kept smiling. Patti said he had moved it twice while she was in the room alone with him. He is getting stronger each day and if we don't watch him , he'll get up and walk right out of the ICU. Patti says 'he is already planning his escape". By the way, he is also nodding yes or no to questions
After visiting until 7pm, Patti and I called Stephen and then went to dinner.(Lynnette, we had dinner at the same little place where Carmella was. They were all there again. We had those cookies again) When we return home these days from our travels the "Ladies" always say "ciao" now. I think they are watching out for us.
We are now both at the computer catching up on emails and work.
Aloha from a tired but happy Sue and Patti
PS: If any of you would like to send Len music or audio books you can do so through a gift certificate from itunes. You can send the certificate to my email address. I will download from itunes to Len's ipod and he can listen when he wants.

2 comments:

Donnaste said...

Patti and Sue,

I love that "The Ladies" are watching out for you guys! I'm so encouraged by your dad's progress; I know he's gonna recover, I can feel it in my soul.

Love,
Donna

lisa said...

Patti&Sue; i am so awe by his good improvement. he will be himself in no time. i love and miss you both very much lisa