Monday, July 28, 2008

Monday Morning in California

It is Monday morning and I am finally coming up for air after traveling home, seeing Len every day and catching up on my sleep. Stephen has been keeping you updated so I don't need to go into any detail about Len's progress. Needless to say, we are thrilled with how things are going here at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center and I continue to enjoy all your emails and positive thoughts. Lesa(daughter) brought her speakers for her ipod and art for the walls so now Len has music playing all day in his room. Gail put together a photo album so Len can look at photos of the family when ever he wants. He is kept very busy with rehabilitation in the mornings and saves the afternoons for all of us and taking naps. I know he is thrilled to be kept so busy as he has never been an idle man. He talks to us all the time, not always making complete sense but everyday is a little more coherent. I know he is telling us what business needs to be done. It is so joyful to hear him talking. His quote of the day yesterday was"Today is for Today'" and a little later he said"and tomorrow....we'll see".


Some of you have ask how our trip home was so here is a little of what we experienced on July 23.
I showed up at the Galliera Hospital about 10:00 am and took up my post in the waiting room looking up every few minuets to see if the flight team had arrived yet. I had been told that they would be at bedside about 10:30. I even checked in Len's room(not visiting hours) to make sure he was still there and they hadn't left without me. I had brought my few belongings including Len's brief case with our laptop and left them in the hallway. I finally looked up and there they were walking towards Len's room and my heart gave a leap. I jumped up walked up to them and said"I am sure glad to see you". They then entered Len's room and I watched from the hallway as the flight team was briefed by the Italian staff through the one nurse who could speak English as they all stood over Len's bed. My eyes teared up because I knew we were finally going home and Len would be in a better place. That all passed quickly as the team came out of the room with Len and we headed out of the hospital for the last time. He was loaded in the ambulance and we were all off to the airport. We had to wait at a checkpoint outside the airport to get our passports cleared and then we were next to the plane. The team jumped out and began to prepare the plane to load Len. I was snapping pictures and looking around. I looked back at the ambulance and there was Len pulling the blankets off and trying to get out of the bed. I said "oh, people, hello, Len is trying to get up" and one of the team ran back to be with Len. I know Len just wanted to get the heck out of there. He was finally loaded in the plane and I found my seat in the back of the plane and we took off right on time at 12 noon. It was thrilling but also sad as I left all those wonderful new friends behind.
I actually enjoyed the flight and the stops were interesting. The team was outstanding and always gave their full attention to Len. We are very grateful to them.
We arrived in San Jose and as we touched down one of the team said "Welcome Home". I swallowed hard and thanked them all for getting us here safe.
Once at the hospital here we were greeted with not only Stephen but Michelle and a few other people who oriented us and got Len settled into his room. I went from no assistance in Italy to an entire hospital team working with Len 24 hrs a day. I am a little overwhelmed. I thank this staff everyday for their concern and caring.
Enjoy the photos.

Love and Aloha,
Sue

First Class for Len
My cozy seat in the back of the plane
Refueling in Sioux Falls





















2 comments:

Lynnette said...

Mom, I am so glad you are home and you have had time to catch up! I am so anxious to see you all I can't stand it! I get so excited to hear about dad's daily routine! Tell him Tristan is trying to stand. It is crazy how fast the milestone begin to happen. I am sure the same will be with dad. I love you both. Thank you for the post.

Lynnette

lisa said...

hi mom#2; i am so glad that you are doing so well and dad to. i am on the opening shift now and am very happy about it at work. i am taking a break for my apt work to check my emails. i love and miss you so much. love always lisa w.