Monday, July 28, 2008

California Update (boy it is nice to say that!)

Hello all,
Dad continues to make (what I think are) huge steps forward! They removed the central line today & that marks the last of ALL the crap Dad had stuck in him! He was asleep when I got there today ~
4:30PM, they are trying to keep him awake so he stays on a schedule (sleeps at night).
He woke up & I asked him what time dinner was, he looked at the clock & said
10 til 5 (that's what the time was). Then it was time to get up to go to dinner. He almost put
both shoes on himself with only a little help. He was ready to go & told us so, He
almost stood up by himself to get in the chair, we only helped with some balance,
but he did all the work. He started pulling himself with his feet, but stopped right
outside the door to look at the room number. He read it out loud, got a number wrong
& told himself "No!", then read it correctly. Once again he ate all his dinner. He
spent a lot of time trying to read the menu. He gets tired after he eats & want to
go to bed. I asked the "coach" (there is a coach watching him 24-7) if he slept much
last night & Dad & the coach answered almost at the same time, both saying
"....about an hour....." The man is amazing! I know my dad knows who I am, but
you would have a hard time proving it. Which brings me to your homework assignment.
For those in the group without medical training.... look up the word Aphasia .......
Welcome to the group my brother Mark! You can catch up with previous posts here http://www.tristanjacoby.blogspot.com/
Steve

No comments: