Thursday, July 24, 2008

Quick Update



We got to the hospital this morning & they were
starting to do an overall evaluation of Dads
condition from a rehab point of view. There
were team members from the speech, physical,
occupational therapy groups as well as a Dr
or two. Each member introduced themselves
to Dad & he shook their hand (with his right)
and said nice to meet you or hello to each one.
Oh, BTW They removed the trach that he came
with & put in a smaller one. He impressed
all of the therapy people with his strength.
The first thing he did when he saw me was
give me the "hang loose" sign. Then with
dads help, they sat him up, put him in a
wheel chair & he helped roll with his hands
& pull with his feet right out the door
to an out door patio. He was happy to
get up out of bed! He spent the next 2
hours trying to UN-buckle the seat belt
& get out of the chair! The speech therapy
member evaluated his ability to eat & swallow.
He did well, but was coughing a bit & she was
not sure if it was from the food
or just a cough. While feeding dad some
apple sauce, he burped & immediately said
"excuse me"! When we took him back to his
room, he was helping get himself into bed &
told the nurse "ok, let go", he wanted to
do it himself.

That is about half of all the good things
that took place this morning, but I have
to get to work as my boss is a slave driver!
Dad smiled when I said that.

Gotta run,
S

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Praise God - what an answer to so many prayers. They will continue for all of you. Hug Len and Sue for us - hugs to all of you too!
Helen B

Mikie said...

Welcome Home Len!!!! I have to say its been a long time since the Saratoga days. I laugh everytime I think of you hiding in the bushes waiting for Patti and I to come home safely from a night out. If ever there was an Angel looking out for us...it was you. I am so happy that you and Sue made it to your temporary home in the Bay Area. The updates have been truly inspirational and I have to thank ALL of your family for that. I wish you continued success with therapy and know that all of my family and I send our love. Go Gettum Tiger!!!!!
Mikie