Friday, July 4, 2008

Spending time with Daddy...

Yesterday was a very good day. Sue, Patti and I go to see dad and we each spend time with him two at a time. This night the nurse let as all go in together since he new we had come a long way! We spent time telling stories and yes telling jokes. Sometimes I think the others in the room wonder why were are laughing during such a serious time. In Italy the visitors don't touch or talk to the patients so we are defineatly the outsiders but we know dad can hear us. He seems to send us many little signs like movement, heart rate, etc.

Today was a big day as they were supposed to try to reduce the sedation that dad was on. e new it was going to happen in the early afternoon but we did not have any other details than that. We also had to move from the hotel to the apartment. We had a lot of lugguage to move so Markus, the owner of the apartment, and Sue took a taxi with the luggauge and Patti and I walked to the apartment. Whn we arrived they were already in the apartment. The apartment is very nice. I will get some pictures tomorrow to post. We were all getting very tired as Patti and I did not sleep last night because we took a long nap yesturday. We will stay up all day today though to try to get back on track. The apartment also gives us free internet so I will be able to post more often. I hope that helps!

Today was the complete opposite for me at the hospital. Sue and Patti went in first and
Sue came out to let me in after about 1/2 an hour. When I went in there was a man with white hair standing next to Patti, I thought it was the doctor. I was wrong. It was Father Antonio Angelino, a Catholic Priest, who has been visiting dad on a daily basis.
Father Angelino was praying for dad. This caught me very off guard and reality really set in for me. Father Angelino began saying the Our Father in English, Patti and I both joined in. The Father was saying all he could in English but had to revert back to Italian when he could to make a translation. I could not hold back the tears. After the Father finished praying he spoke with Patti and I and said he would be there every day and was very interested in where we were staying and wanted to make sure we all had the support that we needed. This was so special for Patti and I to be a part of.

Dad makes movements while were are there. Every once in a while he will king of "jump", I mean it is almost like a hickup. It scares me sometimes. Then today after the priest left and Patti and I were still together he moved his left hand almost like he just wanted us to know he hears us. All of this was a little overwhelming for me so I got myself together and went to switch back with Sue. We alway give her time to spend with dad by herself before we leave.

When I went outside there is a door open by the waiting room. I wen t outside and just lost it. Patti came out and we talked and huged. I am so glad we came together! Today was a very hard day emotionally but dad looks good and these are all great signs! Keep up all the prayers. We love you all!

Sue, Lynnette & Patti

5 comments:

joan said...

Hi all. I cannot express enough how wonderful it is to hear your real words and feelings after seeing Len. It is as if all of us were able to go into the ICU to visit. Steve and I have talked a lot but it is so good to get first hand words. I have been getting up several times/night ...or not slept at all..to see if there is any new e-mail. So disappointed to hear that the lower sedation didn't work today. All my love, Joan

WH said...

Thanks to Steve for posting this link. Love to all four of you in Italy. Johnnie is doing well, and is grateful for her aunts who are loving her grandparents in person now. I also enjoy hearing the "first-hand" accounts, although in person, and from a 17 year old's mouth. Her standpoint in life lends itself to a touching story-teller's perspective. She and Len chose her college well.
Love,
Wendy

lisa said...

HI All; i just started to cry when i read the blog today i so wish i could be there. i some times feel so helpless that i am not there. i am glad that the preist is coming everyday for all of you not just dad cause i think all of you could use alittle more comfort. know that i am there in both lynnette and patti. i love you all so much. lisa w.

Donnaste said...

Patti,

I'm really thankful for this blog. It connects all of us who care so much about you and your family. Please know I'm hugging you tight.

Love you,
Donna

joan said...

Wendy
I don't have your e-mail address or telephone number. Could you post that or call me...310) 394-6868
Thanks Joan